The why, the when, the how

As I'm heading off to live in Jerusalem later this summer, many people have asked me if I'm going to write a blog to share my experiences, sound off (ooh, I do love the sound of own voice/sight of my typing) and keep people informed about how this rather large life-change is going.  So this is for all of them.  Here we go...


Growing up abroad left me with something of a wanderlust, for which I either thank or blame my parents depending on my mood.  So last autumn after 8 years teaching in the inner city in Bristol I decided to throw caution to the wind, leave everything and everyone I know and love and give in to the urge to live overseas again.  That's the why.


I was (rather gratifyingly for my ego) offered two jobs overseas last November and after much thought, discussion and prayer decided to accept a post teaching History, amongst other things, at the Anglican International School, Jerusalem.  The school is small, independent and a mix of ex-pat kids and locals, something of a contrast to my current school of around 850 students from various council estates in north Bristol.  I am due to head out to Jerusalem in late August, on a date to be confirmed once my visa has been processed.  That's the when.




The last month has been truly frantic: organising quotes from shipping companies (many of which were discarded because they were so outrageous); dividing my belongings into what's going to Israel, what's going into storage and what's necessary for 2 months of living out of a suitcase; moving out of my home of 2 years (and saying goodbye to my lovely flatmate Laura); faxing and e-mailing a variety of documents to a variety of people in Israel; and all the while endeavouring to keep my eye on the ball at work.  (It should be noted that I have in fact dropped the ball several times lately...)  I am now camping in the spare room of some lovely friends from church, hanging onto my e-mail for updates on the visa process and waiting for my plane ticket to be booked.  And that's the how.

Comments

Popular Posts